The Biblical Studies major is a four-year program of study designed to provide students with a thorough knowledge of the Bible and Christian theology. The program includes extensive study in Bible and theology and general education. The concentration in Pre-Professional Health Sciences, offered through a cooperative agreement with the University of Dubuque, provides the opportunity to prepare for entrance into professional programs in health sciences while completing an undergraduate degree.
Program Directors: Mr. Raju Kunjummen, Dr. Lisa Beatty
The student will:
- Evidence comprehensive knowledge of the content of the Bible.
- Evidence comprehensive understanding of Christian theology.
- Evidence advanced ability to interpret the Bible accurately.
- Evidence the ability to defend biblical truth and the Christian faith.
- Evidence a worldview that is distinctly Christian.
- Evidence growth in Christian character and lifestyle.
- Complete an inter-disciplinary science curriculum to prepare for entrance into professional programs in the health science field.
Program Admission Requirements
- Complete the freshman year at Emmaus with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
- Complete MAT 162 Pre-Calculus and SCI 241/242 Introduction to Human Biology and Lab with a minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Prior to the sophomore year, declare a major in Biblical Studies with a concentration in Pre-Professional Health Sciences.
- At the beginning of the sophomore year, apply for entrance into the Biblical Studies with a concentration in Pre-Professional Health Sciences program. The application procedure includes completion of a formal application. After the application has been received, the Bible/Theology faculty will review it. Their decision will be delivered to the student by means of a formal letter.
- Pay all applicable fees for this major as determined by the Business office and published in the annual statement of fees.
Bachelor of Science in Biblical Studies with a concentration in Pre-Professional Health Sciences Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 139 semester credit hours.
- A 2.5 cumulative grade point average and a passing grade in all required courses.
- At least 70 semester credit hours must be earned at Emmaus and University of Dubuque.
- Complete the general graduation requirements listed in the Academic Life section of the catalog.
- Meet course requirements in the following areas:
- Bible/Theology (57 credits)
- Old Testament Survey 1 (BT 102)
- Old Testament Survey 2 (BT 104)
- New Testament Survey (BT 106)
- Christian Life & Bible Study Methods (BT 110)
- Survey of Doctrine (BT 151)
- Hermeneutics (BT 250)
- Theology 1 (BT 205)
- Theology 2 (BT 210)
- Theology 3 (BT 305)
- Theology 4 (BT 310)
- Applied Theology (BT 462)
- Christian Evidences (BT 166) or Apologetics (BT/PH 350)
- Life of Christ (BT 247)
- Bible Geography (BT 278)
- Romans (BT 335)
- Old Testament Elective
- Bible/Theology Electives**
- Educational Ministries (3 credits)
- Teaching Bible (EM 221)
- Intercultural Studies (3 credits)
- Missions and Evangelism 1* (ICS 104)
- Inter-Area Studies (5 credits)
- Transitions Seminar (IAS 101)
- Servant Leader Training (IAS 102/3-402/3)
- Chapel Attendance (IAS 110)
- Senior Seminar (IAS 410)
- Humanities (12 credits)
- Fundamentals of Speech (COM 112)
- English Composition (ENG 101)
- Introduction to Literature (ENG 102)
- Introduction to Philosophy: Christian Worldview* (PH 106)
- Social Sciences (15 credits)
- Fundamental Computer Literacy (CS 101)
- Western Civilization (HIS 131/132) or American History (HIS 235/236)
- Church History (HIS 376)
- Social Science Electives
- Natural Sciences (10 credits)
- Introduction to Human Biology & Lab (SCI 241/242)
- Introduction to Statistics (MAT 160)
- Pre-Calculus (MAT 162)
- Health Sciences (34 credits)
- Medical Terminology (BIO 150)
- Anatomy/Physiology 1 & Lab (BIO 211)
- Anatomy/Physiology 2 & Lab (BIO 212)
- Genetics & Lab (BIO 236)
- Microbiology & Lab (BIO 314)
- General Chemistry 1 & Lab (CHM 111)
- General Chemistry 2 & Lab (CHM 112)
- Organic Chemistry 1 & Lab (CHM 221)
- Organic Chemistry 2 & Lab (CHM 222)
*meets Bible-Related requirement
**at least one book study required
Courses taken at the University of Dubuque
Award: Bachelor of Science