The Bachelor of Science in Bible/Theology and Cross-Cultural Nursing is a unique, four-year program of study designed to provide students with a thorough understanding of the Bible and theology, understanding of cross-cultural adjustment and communication, and professional nursing skills. The goal of the program is to equip graduates to effectively serve the physical and spiritual needs of patients and their families in cross-cultural contexts. Nursing coursework is offered through a cooperative agreement with the Northeast Iowa Community College.
Program Director: Dr. Lisa Beatty
The student will:
- Evidence advanced knowledge of the content of the Bible.
- Evidence advanced understanding of Christian theology.
- Evidence advanced ability to interpret the Bible accurately.
- Evidence the ability to defend biblical truth and the Christian faith.
- Evidence a worldview that is distinctly Christian.
- Evidence growth in Christian character and lifestyle.
- Evidence understanding of cross-cultural adjustment.
- Evidence understanding of cross-cultural communication.
Program Admission Requirements
- Meet all admission requirements of Emmaus Bible College.
- Complete application for admission to Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Declare your intent to complete the cooperative program in Bible/Theology and Cross-Cultural Nursing.
- Meet all nursing program admission requirements of Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Nurse Aide/CNA licensure must be completed prior to Nursing Concepts.
- Nursing candidates must also achieve a score of 80 on the math and reading comprehension areas of the HESI A2 exam prior to nursing program admission (clinical coursework).
- At the beginning of the sophomore year, apply for entrance into the Bible/Theology program.
- The application procedure includes completion of a formal application. After the application has been received, the Bible faculty will review it. Their decision will be delivered to the student by means of a formal letter.
- Pay all applicable fees for this major as determined by the Business office and published in the annual statement of fees.
Bachelor of Science in Bible/Theology and Cross-Cultural Nursing Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 127.75 semester credit hours.
- A 2.0 cumulative grade point average and a passing grade in all required courses.
- At least 44 semester credit hours must be earned at Emmaus.
- At least 20 semester credit hours must be earned at Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Complete the general graduation requirements listed in the Academic Life section of the catalog.
- Complete all graduation and LPN Nursing program requirements of Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Meet course requirements in the following areas:
- Bible and Theology (39 credits)
- Old Testament Survey 1 (BT 102)
- Old Testament Survey 2 (BT 104)
- New Testament Survey (BT 106)
- Christian Life & Bible Study Methods (BT 110)
- Survey of Doctrine (BT 151)
- Hermeneutics (BT 250)
- Theology 1 (BT 205)
- Theology 2 (BT 210)
- Theology 3 (BT 305)
- Theology 4 (BT 310)
- Bible/Theology Electives**
- Intercultural Studies (15 credits)
- Missions and Evangelism 1* (ICS 104)
- Cross-Cultural Adjustment (ICS 212)
- Cross-Cultural Communication (ICS 310)
- Cross-Cultural Leadership (ICS 441)
- Cultural Anthropology (SOC 314)
- (Short-term medical missions experience)
- Inter-Area Studies (4 credits)
- Transitions Seminar (IAS 101)
- Servant Leader Training (IAS 102/3-402/3)
- Chapel Attendance (IAS 110)
- Senior Seminar (IAS 410)
- Nursing (25.75 credits)
- Introduction to Nutrition (PNN:270)
- Dosage Calculations (PNN:200)
- Pharmacology Medications (PNN:204)
- Introduction to Nursing Concepts (PNN:183)
- Introduction to Nursing Care of Adults I (PNN:179)
- Introduction to Nursing Care of Adults II (PNN:181)
- Introduction to Maternal Child Health (PNN:242)
- Application of the Practical Nurse Role (PNN:312)
- Humanities (15 credits)
- Fundamentals of Speech (COM 112)
- English Composition (ENG 101)
- Introduction to Literature (ENG 102)
- Introduction to Philosophy: Christian Worldview* (PH 106)
- World Religions (REL 308)
- Social Sciences (12 credits)
- Fundamental Computer Literacy (CS 101)
- Western Civilization (HIS 131/132) or American History (HIS 235/236)
- Developmental Psychology (PSY 211)
- Social Science Elective
- Natural Sciences (11 credits)
- College Mathematics (MAT 140)
- Human Anatomy/Physiology I Lab (BIO:165/167)
- Human Anatomy/Physiology II Lab (BIO:170/172)
- Electives (6 credits)
*meets Bible-Related requirement
**at least one book study required
Italics - Courses at Northeast Iowa Community College. See course descriptions at www.nicc.edu.
Award: Bachelor of Science (Emmaus Bible College)
Diploma (Northeast Iowa Community College)