The Biblical Studies major is a four-year program of study designed to provide students with a thorough knowledge of the Bible and Christian theology. The program includes extensive study in Bible and theology and general education. The concentration in Pre- Professional Health Sciences, offered through a cooperative agreement with the University of Dubuque, provides the opportunity to prepare for entrance into professional programs in health sciences while completing an undergraduate degree.
Program Directors: Dr. Lisa L. Beatty
The student will evidence:
- Knowledge of the content of the Bible.
- A detailed understanding of Christian theology.
- Ability to correctly interpret and appropriately apply biblical teaching.
- Ability to defend biblical truth and the Christian faith.
- Practice of proper methodology for interpreting and applying the English Bible.
- Skill in communicating the teaching and application of a biblical passage.
- Commitment to growth in Christian character and lifestyle.
- Completion of an inter-disciplinary science curriculum to prepare for entrance into professional programs in the health science field.
Program Admission Requirements
- Complete the freshman year at Emmaus with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
- Complete MAT 162 Pre-Calculus and SCI 241/242 Introduction to Human Biology and Lab with a minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Prior to the sophomore year, declare a major in Biblical Studies with a concentration in Pre-Professional Health Sciences.
- At the beginning of the sophomore year, apply for entrance into the Biblical Studies with a concentration in Pre-Professional Health Sciences program. The application procedure includes completion of a formal application. After the application has been received, the Bible/Theology faculty will review it. Their decision will be delivered to the student by means of a formal letter.
- Pay all applicable fees for this major as determined by the Business office and published in the annual statement of fees.
Bachelor of Science in Biblical Studies with a concentration in Pre-Professional Health Sciences Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 133 semester credit hours.
- A 2.5 cumulative grade point average and a passing grade in all required courses.
- At least 60 semester credit hours must be earned at Emmaus and/or University of Dubuque.
- Complete the general graduation requirements listed in the Academic Life section of the catalog.
- Meet course requirements in the following areas:
- Bible/Theology (63 credits)
- Old Testament Survey 1 (BT 102)
- Old Testament Survey 2 (BT 104)
- New Testament Survey (BT 106)
- Christian Life and Worldview (BT 111)
- Introduction to Biblical Interpretation (BT 120)
- Survey of Doctrine (BT 151)
- Christian Evidences (BT 167/168) or Apologetics (BT/PH 350)
- Biblical Hermeneutics (BT 220)
- Theology: God, Creation, and Sin (BT 221)
- Life of Christ (BT 247)
- Theology: Christ, Holy Spirit, and Salvation (BT 321)
- Theology: The Church and Final Things (BT 331)
- Church History (BT 376)
- Bible Book Study Elective
- Old Testament Book Study Elective
- New Testament Book Study Elective
- Biblical Theology Elective
- Theology Elective
- Bible/Theology Electives (9 credits)
- Chapel (CCS 110)
- Servant Leader Training (CCS 120)
- Educational Ministries (3 credits)
- Teaching Bible* (EM 321) or Homiletics 1* (BT 322)
- Intercultural Studies (3 credits)
- Missions and Evangelism 1* (ICS 104)
- General Studies (37 credits)
- Anatomy/Physiology 1 & Lab (BIO 211)
- Fundamentals of Speech (COM 112)
- Fundamental Computer Literacy (CS 101)
- English Composition (ENG 101)
- Introduction to Literature (ENG 102)
- Transitions Seminar (FND 101)
- Senior Seminar (FND 410)
- Western Civilization 1 or 2 (HIS 131/132) or American History 1 (HIS 235)
- Introduction to Statistics (MAT 160)
- Pre-Calculus (MAT 162)
- Biological Science & Lab (SCI 245)
- Humanities Elective
- Social Science Elective
- Health Sciences (30 credits)
- Medical Terminology (BIO 150)
- Anatomy/Physiology 2 & Lab (BIO 212)
- Genetics & Lab (BIO 236)
- Microbiology & Lab (BIO 314)
- General Chemistry 1 & Lab (CHM 111)
- General Chemistry 2 & Lab (CHM 112)
- Organic Chemistry 1 & Lab (CHM 221)
- Organic Chemistry 2 & Lab (CHM 222)
*meets Bible-Related requirement
Courses taken at the University of Dubuque
Award: Bachelor of Science